Toxic and Dangerous Foods for Dogs


Toxic and Dangerous Foods for Dogs

Who can resist those big puppy dog eyes and that cute doggy smile? Can a little reward from the table or getting into Mom or Dad’s stuff really hurt your dog? Well, that depends on what it is and what's in it… There’s a lot of human food’s your dog should never eat and, it’s not just because of weight. Some foods are downright dangerous for dogs and some of these common foods may surprise you.



Dogs have about one-sixth the number of taste buds that humans do. Some dogs love sweat treats. However not all sweat food is good for your dog. Xylitol is found in Candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods, and some diet foods that are sweetened with xylitol. It can cause your dog's blood sugar to drop and can also cause liver failure. Early symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, and coordination problems. Eventually, your dog may have seizures. Liver failure can happen within just a few days.



Alcohol has the same effect on a dog’s liver and brain that it has on people, but it takes a lot less to hurt your dog. Just a little beer, liquor, wine, or food with alcohol can be bad. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, coordination problems, breathing problems, coma, even death and the smaller your dog, the worse it can be.


Onions and Garlic

Keep onions and garlic -- powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated away from your dog. They can kill red blood cells and causing anemia. Even the onion powder in some baby food can cause the same effects. A rare small dose is probably OK, but eating a lot just once can cause poisoning. Look for signs like weakness, vomiting, and breathing problems.



Give your dog toys if you want him to be perky. Caffeine can be fatal. Watch out for coffee and tea, even the beans and the grounds can hurt your pooch. Keep your dog away from cocoa, chocolate, colas, and energy drinks. Caffeine is also in some cold medicines and pain killers. Think your dog had caffeine? Get your dog to the vet as soon as possible.


Grapes and Raisins

There are better treats to give your dog. Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure and just a small amount can make a dog sick. Vomiting over and over is an early sign. Within a day, your dog will get sluggish and depressed.


Dairy Products

On a hot day, it may be tempting to share your ice cream with your dog. Instead, give your pup some cold water. Milk and milk-based products can cause diarrhea and other digestive problems for your pup. They can also trigger food allergies, which can cause her to itch.


Macadamia Nuts

Keep your dog away from macadamia nuts and foods that have macadamia nuts in them. Just six raw or roasted macadamia nuts can make a dog sick. Look for symptoms like muscle shakes, vomiting, high temperature, and weakness in his back legs. Eating chocolate with the nuts will make symptoms worse and may even lead to death.


Fat Trimmings and Bones

Fat trimmed from meat, both cooked and uncooked, can cause inflammation of the organ lying behind the lower part of the stomach also known as pancreatitis. Even though it seems natural to give a dog a bone, they can choke on it. Bones can also splinter and block or cause cuts in your dog's digestive system.



Most people know that chocolate is bad for dogs. The problem in chocolate is theobromine. Theobromine formerly known as Xantheose, is the bitter alkaloid of the cacao plant. It's in all kinds of chocolate, even white chocolate. The most dangerous types to giare dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate. Chocolate can cause a dog to vomit and have diarrhea. It can also cause heart problems, tremors, seizures, and death.



Avocados, for example, have something called persin. It’s fine for people who aren't allergic to it. But too much might cause vomiting or diarrhea in dogs. If you grow avocados at home, keep your dog away from the plants. Persin is in the leaves, seed, and bark, as well as the fruit. Also, the avocado seed can become stuck in the intestines or stomach, and obstruction could be fatal.


If Your Dog Eats What they Shouldn’t

No matter how careful you are, your dog might find and swallow something they shouldn't. Keep the number of your local vet, the closest emergency clinic, and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888) 426-4435 where you know you can find it. And, if you think your dog has eaten something toxic, call for emergency help right away!